Saturday 14 January 2012

The weight of the world

I can't quite remember where I first came across the idea of the 'joy of veganism', but it really resonated with me.
I've mentioned it before, but opening yourself up to the truth about animal products and the industries that churn them out can be quite overwhelming. The sheer degree of mass slaughter, imprisonment, torture, grief, fear and suffering that's involved is quite simply overwhelming. Sometimes it's even difficult to think about. It's depressing stuff, and the secrecy, human complicity and apathy of so many makes it quite hard to bear. But at the same time, a lovely gift came from my step into veganism. All of a sudden, due directly to my own actions, I was no longer involved. I was no longer responsible. I was no longer financially supportive of any of this suffering. The atrocities of which I was now aware were happening despite, and no longer because of, me. This means that although I sometimes get so upset that this pain continues, I tread a little bit lighter daily. I'm doing the best job that I can. It's a strange situation but I believe the more affecting it is to think of the negatives involved in animal industry, the more uplifting it is to distance yourself from that.

There is certainly a profound indescribable joy that comes from being a vegan.

No comments:

Post a Comment